Whether you visit the dentist regularly or not and whether you have solid oral hygiene habits in place or not, dental emergencies may arrive nonetheless. These situations may appear for many reasons, including accidents leading to teeth or gum injuries. At Millennium Dental, however, we consider many of the cases of dental emergencies can be easily prevented.
An SE Calgary emergency dentist is a specialist experienced in a wide range of affections related to the teeth, the gum, and the maxillofacial area. And he needs to be since studies have shown that:
- The number of patients seeking emergency assistance for toothaches has doubled between 2000 and 2010, from 1.1 million to 2.2 million
- Almost 25% of the dental emergencies relate to problems with teeth restorations, like crowns, dentures, implants, and fillings
- Only 67% of those in need for urgent assistance sought professional services, while the rest settled for home remedies or did nothing
The ideal situation is one where there are no dental emergencies to worry about. And while that’s impossible because accidents will always be a part of life, there are ways of decreasing the prevalence of dental emergencies in general.
- Improving the oral hygiene – There is a lot to talk about here, but the essence is this: proper oral hygiene will help to prevent cavity formation, plaque deposits, and gum disease. These three factors will always lead to the destruction of the teeth, gum soreness and inflammation and pain, which, at times, can grow to extreme levels. Adopting an adequate dental care plan involves brushing and flossing regularly, using chlorhexidine mouthwash in case you have bacterial problems, and visiting the dental cabinet at least once every six months. These strategies will most likely keep you away from the SE Calgary emergency dentist.
- Protect the teeth against injury – Mouth guards are particularly useful in this regard. We are not talking about sports-related injuries but about things like teeth grinding as well. These can occur both during the day and when sleeping, when the patient will have no control over his actions. The grinding can cause chipper or cracked teeth, which will lead to pain and a higher risk of tooth decay if left untreated.
- Adopt a healthier diet – It may not seem like much, but it will go a long way regarding dental health. Eating as less sugar as possible and cutting sodas, coffee, and other potentially damaging foods from your diet will decrease the risk of dental emergencies significantly. Also, avoid foods that are too hard or too chewy; the first will risk cracking or chipping the tooth, while the latter may cause it to become unstable due to the rubbery texture.
An SE Calgary emergency dentist will always be there to assist you, but it’s still better never getting the opportunity to meet him. At Millennium Dental, we have the best specialists in the field of emergency dentistry, in case things go south fast. But we would rather see you for a regular appointment instead. Our professionals will check your health status and will educate you on the most effective oral hygiene routine and the best preventive plans to adopt.SE Calgary Emergency Dentist